Monday, June 8, 2015

Stephen King's UNDER THE DOME and Bedlam Asylum.

I have to state that up until very recently, I was not much of a Stephen King fan. Indeed, as of this writing, I have not read Under the Dome. But I have discovered in his recent works something that connects with me.

I believe in the absolute truth of the statement, "what is past is prologue," particularly in the field of the study of history and especially as it relates to modern times.

For some years now, I have harbored a deep interest in the development of Victorian insane asylums; from Britain to the U.S., from Bedlam to Danvers and more. As I read Carol Arnold's excellent work Bedlam: London and Its Mad, I came across a reference to Edwardian scholar and chaplain at Bethlehem Hospital, E. G. O'Donoghue, a frequent contributor to the hospital's magazine, "Under the Dome." I believe the magazine was titled "Under the Dome" because the new hospital, built in around 1815, was crowned with a massive central dome; a frequent, if not common, architectural feature of late-nineteenth century hospitals and asylums. Thus, it could be said that Bedlam was "under the dome."

clip_image002

Figure 1 Rendering of new hospital from 1828.

 

clip_image004

Figure 2 Image of cover of King's Under the Dome.

 

In a flash, I saw it! King's novel Under the Dome, whether intentional or not, is rooted in the very idea of Bedlam Asylum! In a sense, I believe King recreated the reality of Bethlehem Hospital...Bedlam Asylum...in this novel. This is my contention.

At this point, I am not sure if there is anything more to this idea. But I will research this thought further. If I find something noteworthy, I will post about it and share my findings. Otherwise, it was just nothing more than a weird coincidence.

But between you and me...I do not believe in coincidence.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment