Monday, October 19, 2015

I love Delta Green...

I love Delta Green...

From an ad in a magazine promising to "out X-Files the X-Files," Delta Green captured my imagination.

From its first official appearance in the scenario Convergence in The Unspeakable Oath #7, I was hooked.

The_Unspeakable_Oath_07

I was very happy to participate in the Kickstarter campaign in 2014 to raise funds for a Delta Green fiction anthology. When the first volume (Delta Green: Tales from Failed Anatomies) arrived in my email later that year, I read it in a day. It was wonderful. So Delta Green (you know what I mean).

Not to take anything away from the other tales, but for me, these three stories stand out:

~Night and Water set in late 1944 in Europe. It introduces the Karotechia, the Nazi occult/mythos group. This is a hard hitter.

~Coming Home set in 1970. The after effects of a Delta Green op in Vietnam are rarely happy and usually very messy. This one hurt to read.

~Drowning in Sand set in 1997. This tale ties together Roswell, Majestic 12, and the mythos into a nice little package

DELTA GREEN (2014) Tales from Failed Anatomies

Then just a few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised when the second volume (Delta Green: Extraordinary Renditions) showed up in my inbox quite unexpectedly. This volume was nearly double the size of the first and it was awesome! I read this one in a single day as well.

In Extraordinary Renditions, honestly, no one story stands out. They are all phenomenal in my opinion. Each tale hits hard and reminds you that in Delta Green, the best you can hope for is to die by your own hand.

156628

In both volumes, the tales are organized chronologically. Thus, these tales also trace the evolution of the organization from its earliest days during the Great Depression through its growth in World War II and the Cold War, right up to the present. This approach captures the feeling and flavor of Delta Green perfectly.

Anyone care to join me for a night at the Opera?

 

 

488150_3300674249896_1169292611_n - Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment