Sunday, November 6, 2016

CLOCKWORK. Carmilla: The Series Fan-Fiction in Trade Paperback!

For a long while now, I have been a supporter / reader / enjoyer of the literary phenomenon of fan-fiction. I have even tried my hand at writing a few times, but never had the guts to post it. For the past year or so, I have been a follower of the Canadian web-series, Carmilla: The Series as well as the resulting fan-fiction found on archiveofourown.org.

One of my favorite works of fan-fiction is Clockwork by Muse92 (a.k.a. Tash Morgan). Clockwork is a flower shop AU[*] based on the characters from the web-series. Very basically, the story is Carmilla, who works at a flower shop and Laura, who is a reporter for the local newspaper find love and happiness with each other. But life is never that simple.

I have to say that I really really enjoyed this work of fan-fiction.

Clockwork comprises 33 chapters and is over 100,000 words in length. The first chapter was released on Archive of Our Own on November 2, 2015 and the concluding 33rd chapter on August 2, 2016, with an author's note and special offering on September 9, 2016 as a 34th part.

I want to talk about the September 9 author's note. It is reproduced below:

**

NOT AN EPILOGUE

Hi Guys –

Just a quick update about the physical version of Clockwork

Since nootvanlis’s post on Tumblr about receiving their copy I’ve had quite a few people ask me if I have any physical copies left – unfortunately I have run out of the batch I had made up for myself and they have been (or are soon to be) posted.

I have however looked into the website I ordered them through and have been able to make it available to purchase in a way that doesn’t result in any revenue for myself. The book is only available by the direct link below and the cost is $8.13 (I think this is in USD but don’t trust me on that) – that is for the cost of having the book printed by the company. Then you will also have any shipping charges on top of that.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/clockwork/18427603 

Obviously any books ordered through that link will not be coming directly from myself and won’t have a little hand–written note on the inside cover like the 18 lucky people that managed to get in early enough for my batch. If some of you would like this (although I’m not sure why you would) please send me a message via Tumblr and we can work something out.

So again – if you want a physical copy and haven’t got the confirmation from me on Tumblr (wontyouinspireme or flowersinmyapartment) please use the above link.

And super re-iterating – I am not making any money off this, the price covers the printing only and then add in shipping costs.

Thank you all again for your love and support for this story. Much love.

Cheers,
Tash (Muse92)

**

To celebrate the completion of her story, the author printed through Lulu.com, at her own expense, a small number of copies of Clockwork to give to a select few. The response was so positive that the above note was necessary and the author made it possible for anyone to order the printed version of Clockwork from Lulu.com. Once I had read this, I was more than happy to order the book from Lulu.com.

clip_image002 clip_image004

Please remember, this is a printing not a publishing. This work is not published nor even self-published. If it were, it would violate copyright. Also, as the author, Muse92 (or Tash Morgan as the book reveals), rightly points out, she makes no money on this. Those who order the book pay for printing and shipping only. The author makes nothing.

Aside from a little more than a few editing slips, this physical book is a wonderful tribute to an exemplary work of fan-fiction. I strongly recommend purchasing Clockwork, especially if you are a fan of Carmilla: The Series and enjoy fan-fiction. Having a physical bo0k in my hand while reading a work of fan-fiction was a new experience for me.

I liked it.

I would like to experience it again.

 

***

 

Once again here is the link to order the physical copy from Lulu.com:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/clockwork/18427603 

 

 

HITM Logo - Copy

 


[*] Typically, fan-fiction continues the story of the original work (a.k.a. "canon") - whether book, film, TV or web-series. It can explore what happened after, before or even along side the canon storyline. Fan-fiction can also take a name or event perhaps mentioned in passing in the original and tell that story.

AU stands for "alternate universe." In fan-fiction, this genre allows the author to explore themes, issues and situations more freely by varying the particulars or shifting the situations that the characters experience. For example in Clockwork, Carmilla is not a vampire. Nor is there a single supernatural element. Though the base personality traits of the characters are preserved.

In other fan-fiction, the nature of the characters' inter-relationships may be altered. As well, the age of the characters may shift. For example, Laura may be older and in a position of authority over a younger Carmilla. However, the appearance of the characters are set, for the most part.

Of course, these are only a couple of examples. All of this is completely up to the whim of the fan-fiction author. This is an "alternate universe" after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment